This traditional Christmas dessert, layered with fresh strawberries, jelly, creamy mascarpone custard and sherry soaked sponge cake is divine!
If you’re looking for an outrageously large and quick & easy dessert, this Christmas Trifle is ideal! Just assemble the layers then refrigerate. The only thing you’ll need to do on the day is whip the cream and pile on the fruit.
500 g Bling Sponge Cake Pieces
500 g Strawberries
1x raspberry jelly
2 tbsp Icing sugar
600 ml double cream
500 g Mascarpone cheese
500 g vanilla custard
Handful of praline almonds
1/3 cup Sherry, sweet
- Make jelly according to directions on packet; pour into a 3 litre (12-cup) glass serving bowl.
- Cut 250g of the strawberries in half; add to the jelly.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until jelly is almost set.
- Place sponge cake pieces in a medium bowl, sprinkle with sherry; toss to coat.
- Beat mascarpone and custard in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spoon custard mixture over jelly, then top custard with sherry-soaked cake.
- Add another layer of sponge cake (optional)
- Beat cream and half the sifted icing sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spoon cream over cake.
- Serve trifle topped with remaining strawberries & praline almonds.